QUICK & HEALTHY RECIPE FOR VEGETARIAN PASTA
Really healthy and easy to prepare vegetarian pasta that contains lots of wholesome ingredients!
500g bag fresh egg pasta
1 fennel bulb
400g can tomatoes
1 large carrot
600ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
small handful basil
2 red peppers
¼ tsp chillies
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp caster sugar
– Quarter and deseed the red peppers
– Chop the onion, fennel bulb and tomatoes roughly.
– Crush the garlic cloves and the chillies
– Shred the basil leaves
– Cook the fresh egg pasta
1. Warm up the grill and pop the peppers, skin-side up, underneath for 10 minutes.
2. Place into a bowl, cover and set aside.
3. Peel off the skin and cut into strips when cool enough to touch.
4. Warm the oil in a saucepan and cook the carrot, fennel and onion for 8-10 mins.
5. Mix in the fennel seeds, tomato purée, crushed chillies and garlic, and cook for 2 mins, then add the stock, sugar and canned tomatoes.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Take out a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce (this will later add texture), then blend the rest in and stir until almost smooth.
8. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken, then mix in the reserved shredded basil, peppers and sauce.
9. Mix with the pasta.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings